Case Study: Fortune 100 Global Aerospace
The competitive pressures brought on by the 4th Industrial Revolution are requiring a transformational change from long-established companies to remain competitive. Their test organizations are no exception and, fortunately, are locations of great opportunity for driving competitive advantage because of their effects on the cost and speed of key enterprise processes in engineering and manufacturing.
This is the story of how one company is winning the battle . . . with the support of The Sente Group.
The customer’s Aerospace division had completed several reorganizations focused on reducing costs and improving performance and they were looking for more. What they hadn’t fully explored was how to improve resource management within their complex and costly test organizations. A snapshot of their situation follows.
- 40+ facilities globally
- An eclectic mix of categories of equipment: sharable & non-sharable, large fixed & portable, mechanical & electrical, company developed and COTS
- Equipment utilization averaging below 20%, 7% to 30% depending on asset category
- A proliferation of processes, tools, and spreadsheets for managing the equipment adding to costs and slowing processes
- Cultural barriers included distrust between departments that lead to hoarding of equipment and other costly behaviors
- No comprehensive data about their assets, their use, condition, future demand, obsolescence or various other characterizations or costs existed to ground availability or target investment requirements
These unknowns were anathema to the company’s data-driven, engineering-focused culture. Company leaders realized that not knowing the answers quickly translated into excessive hidden costs of ownership – equipment purchases, property taxes, storage space, calibration & maintenance, rental & lease costs, distractions of key technical staff, etc. – as well as downtime associated with obsolete equipment and, more importantly, program delays.
With demand for capital out-stripping supply, there was a clear need and plenty of room for dramatic improvement.
A Blueprint defined the essential elements of the solution which included an implementation plan and financial Pro-forma against which the team would measure future success. Phase one of the implementation focused on redeployable and sharable equipment because of its ubiquitous presence throughout the test process. The goal was to launch and test the Sente test resource management software Scireo® at one location, then implement it across the company.
Sente and the company’s in-house equipment management team worked together to audit existing equipment, set up the resource management structure – tailored processes, refined roles with metric responsibilities and Scireo® integrated software tools – and introduce it at the beta site in just two weeks. The integration would enable all of the different categories of equipment to be managed in one tool with performance enabled by powerful workflows designed specifically for each equipment category and being able to be consolidated into one view of all categories of equipment need for each test program.
It didn’t take long for company leaders to see that the new system was working, leading to a rapid rollout to key sites in North America:
- 14 additional locations
- 9-month implementation
- Over 100,000 assets brought into the system
The keystone of the solution is Scireo®, the integrated software previously mentioned that measures utilization and provides real-time information on specific pieces of equipment – leading to smarter, more cost-effective decisions about every asset.
In addition, Sente’s detailed knowledge of the cultural dynamics that needed to be overcome led to quick adoption by labs and middle management as a mechanism to reduce costs.
The company-wide implementation of the TRM solution led to several rapid, significant improvements enabled by a resilient network of test capabilities producing visibility across the company that can be leveraged to reduce costs and increase speed. The results below include all categories of test capabilities. Some of the benefits include:
- The cultural transformation from hoarding to collaboration is underway with assets being shared across the global network
- Overall utilization increased to > 55% resulting in a significant improvement to the ability to fund new projects
- Over 40% location-consolidation on targeted capabilities where Centers of Excellence were established and managed using Scireo®
- Reduced equipment downtime over 30% with robust maintenance protocols
- Responsiveness of test processed improved over 60%
- Greater visibility to future resource constraints and available contingencies across multiple locations, enabling planning based on knowledge of resource dependencies
- All laboratories now share standard processes and tools for scheduling the capacity of all different equipment categories.
Case Studies Archive
The company was growing double digits but needed to free up investment from operations for growth projects. See how they tripled utilization, freed up capital and resources to enable that...
This company had a leading market share and wanted to solidify its position with its strategic customers by installing test capabilities on their sites. See how a 40% increase in...
Like many aerospace companies, this one had many sites and different legacy cultures on each. See how they installed common resource management tools, increased utilization 3X and funded new programs.
The hoarding culture was slowing this company down while impacting cost and quality. See how a journey to common processes and collaboration lead to a 50% reduction in assets as...
See how a Blueprint-for-Action baselined their situation and rapidly installed Scireo suite. It enabled a 50% reduction in obsolete equipment, provided equipment for their growing workforce and solved their compliance...
This company's factory support group was struggling to satisfy its customers without factual data. See how installing Scireo TRM software helped them improve response time 85%, reduced downtime 30% and...
The most asset-intensive and costly part of any manufacturing business is its test equipment operations. Test equipment is an essential and very costly component of the product development process in engineering and the order to cash processes in manufacturing and field support/MRO. These processes are complex and costly, tend to be slow or erratic, and…
Freeing up capacity for innovation and growth has never been more important than today. Companies are being asked to bring products to market in half the time and reduce their cost of operations up to 50% to succeed against aggressive global competitors. In hi-tech manufacturing businesses, this means eradicating the pernicious habit causing consistently low…